What you need to know
You can only change your benefits if you have a qualified life event. If you experience a qualified life event, you have 30 days from the life event to notify Your Benefits ResourcesTM (YBR) and change your coverage.
What is a qualified life event?
Qualified life events include:
- If you have or adopt a child, or there's a change in legal custody of a child
- You get married, divorced, legally separated, or there's a change in your domestic partner relationship
- Change in employment status that results in a loss or gain of benefits, such as beginning or ending employment, change in hours, or an unpaid leave of absence
- Change in dependent status of a child, such as when he or she reaches age 26
- Significant change in spouse’s premium contributions
- Significant change in dependent care charges
- Entitlement to Medicare, Medicaid, or another insurance plan
- Change in spouse’s benefit elections
- Relocation of home residence outside of current coverage area
- Death of a spouse or child
Need to waive coverage?
Health care coverage is extremely important, but you may want to waive coverage if you have coverage through a spouse’s plan.
If you need to waive medical and prescription drug coverage, do so by selecting the decline coverage box during the enrollment process.